Sweet and Sour Chicken Burgers

Tuesday, September 11, 2012


I know "grilling season" is smoldering down to ashes (ha, get it) but its going to be above 90 degrees today.  Puke.  But, for most Minnesotans that means they don't want o cook inside.  I'm definitely not going to...but I'm cheating a bit.  I'm going to dinner with our friends Heather and Joe who are expecting their first baby in December! EEEEEE!!  I am so excited for these two I can hardly stand it!!!! BAHHHH is it December yet!?  I digress.  

These burgers are a new little twist on the traditional hamburger.  Earlier in the summer I made these Teriyaki Turkey Burgers that were fab.  It got me thinking...I like Sweet and Sour sauce too...why not make a Sweet and Sour burger.  That's just a little slice of what goes on in my little head.  I promise, you don't want to know more...ask Mr. Schwartz.  : ) 
Start by prepping the veggies.  Finely chop onion and a pepper, I had an orange one on hand.
Peel and mince some ginger as well.  Ahhhh fresh ginger.
Toss it into a bowl with the ground chicken, you could use turkey if you wanted.
Forgot to grab garlic at the grocery store so I use some of this.  Seriously this little tube has been a life saver.
Crack in some black pepper
Shake in some red pepper flakes
Add a bit of hosin suace
And Panko bread crumbs to get it to stick together.  Form into patties and...
Pop on the grill.  You see that blurry yellow ring, yeah that's pineapple...grill that too.
Assemble...chicken, pineapple...
Lettuce...
Lots of sweet and sour sauce.  Mr. Schwartz also slathered his bun with mayo that was a great addition...the guy knows what's good.  I mean, he married me right?  I know that was terrible but I had to.
Just try to convince me you don't want to sink your teeth into that.  Just try.

Sweet and Sour Chicken Burgers
(Makes 4 large burgers)

1/2 small onion, finely diced
1/2 small bell pepper (red, yellow or orange), finely diced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
1 pound ground chicken or turkey
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
A few cracks of black pepper
A few shakes of red pepper flakes (this can be omitted if you don't like spice)
1 tablespoon Hosin sauce
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
4 pineapple rings
Romaine lettuce, for serving
1 cup sweet and sour sauce
Buns, for serving
Mayo, for serving

Preheat the grill on medium high heat.

In a large bowl, combine the onion, pepper, ginger, chicken, garlic, pepper, red pepper flakes, Hosin sauce and Panko bread crumbs.  Form into four patties.

Grill the burgers on medium high heat for about 4 minutes or so on each side or until they are fully cooked.  In the last few minutes of grilling grill the pineapple as well.

Assemble the burgers by placing the burger on the bottom, then pineapple, lettuce, sweet and sour sauce and spreading mayo on the bottom of the top bun.

Enjoy!

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz

2 comments :

  1. These sound DIVINE! My husband thanks you in advance. Gorgeous photos, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you are on your way to creating a prestigious food blog. Well done on taking and posting those wonderful photographs of your steps. What camera are you using? I saw a great idea for a food blog segment that will give you a innovative way to show case your creations. Place a camera on a Lazy susan in the middle of your kitchen table, hit record, and then rotate the camera every 2 minutes to a different location in your kitchen. It allows the viewers to see more perspective of your cooking style. Try it out if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs