Sausage, Potato and Beer Cheese Soup

Tuesday, February 26, 2013


I don't even know where to start with this soup.  It is so freaking good.  I made it on a whim on Sunday night and Mr. Schwartz and I were both blown away.  Like we actually didn't talk the whole time we scarfed it down.  I wish I was kidding.  

Surprisingly I made it with healthy(ier) things like skim milk, chicken sausage and low fat cheese.  I promise I doesn't taste low fat at all!  Also, it takes less than a half an hour to whip up.  Try this now and feel free to write me a handwritten thank you note with the tears of joy you shed while eating it. Yeah, it's that good.
Start by chopping up an onion.
Melt a little butter and pop it in a large Dutch Oven or soup pot.  Add the onions (not pictured) and saute for about 3 minutes or so.
This is the sausage I used.  Holy Moley you guys, I love this stuff. 
Cut it into cute little half moons.
Add the sausage to the pot and give it a quick stir.  Let this cook while you work on the potatoes...
Potatoes worked.  As in I peeled, washed and diced them up.
Add them to the pot as well.  Stir again.
Pour in some low sodium chicken broth.
And a bottle of beer.  Oh I love Spotted Cow.  My friend Amy hooked me up when she came back from Wisconsin.  My little bootlegger.  Shhh...don't tell anyone.

Cook for about 10 minutes or so, until the potatoes are tender.
Combine milk and flour to make a slurry and pour into the pot.  Give it a stir and it should thicken things up nicely.
Season with a little salt
And lots of pepper.
Add the cheese and that is it!
How easy is that!?
The answer is: easy.
And delicious.


Sausage, Potato and Beer Cheese Soup

1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped
13 oz of smoked sausage (I used chicken sausage) cut into half moons
3 medium potatoes, peeled, washed and chopped
1 32 oz box of chicken broth
1 bottle of beer.  I loved the flavor Spotted Cow gave the soup.
1 1/2 cups milk (skim is totally okay!)
1/3 cup flour
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese + additional for topping (low fat is okay!)

Start by adding the butter and onion into a large Dutch Oven or soup pot on medium high heat.  Let saute for about 3 minutes.  Add the sausage and let cook for 3-4 minutes while you peel and chop the potatoes.  Add the potatoes, chicken broth and beer.  Let cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft but not mushy.

Combine the milk and flour in a glass and make sure to use a fork to remove any lumps.  Pour into the pot and give it a good stir.  When it heats back up it will thicken the soup, be sure to continue to stir.  Once the soup is hot and bubbly again, add the cheese and stir until creamy and combined.

Garnish with additional cheese and enjoy!

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz


7 comments :

  1. Hot damn! This sounds freakin' fantastic!! And great minds think alike.....I posted a sausage recipe today too, mmmm! Oh, and I just pinned this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer the Aldy's add is embedded in the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I just found your blog and I think I now have to try EVERY SINGLE recipe. This is some great stuff! Thanks for the simple clear instructions with pictures....WAY better than a cook book any day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so creative, this sounds incredibly delicious! Sorry I haven't been over in a while, school has been crazy :/ Can't wait to make this for the hubby <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Came across this recipe and made it over the weekend. Wanted to point out that it was also great made gluten free. Used Jules Gluten Free flour and Bard's gluten free beer as substitutes and it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! You just made up this recipe? Combining sausage, potato and beer cheese soup didn’t even cross my mind. I’m sure this would taste really good and healthy at the same time. I love soups and I will definitely try this one. Thanks to you, and keep on posting delicious recipes.

    Dione Nye

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made this and it was very good. I'll make it again, but cut up the sausage and potatoes into smaller pieces next time.

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs